There are numerous signs, both physical and behavioral, that indicate substance abuse.
While each person’s experience of substance abuse is unique to them, there are some signs that are common to those who abuse substances.
Signs and Symptoms of Substance Abuse
WCAP Counseling, an experienced provider of substance abuse counseling in Ohio, lists down some of the most common signs and symptoms of substance abuse.
- Physical Signs
Some of the physical signs of substance abuse include:
- Red, Watery Eyes
- Extreme Hyperactivity
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Cold, Sweaty Palms
- Slurred Speech
- Changes in Eating Habits
- Unusual Laziness
- Tremors or Shaking of Hands
- Frequent Rubbing of the Nose
- Deterioration of Hygiene
- Frequent Twisting of the Jaw
- Deterioration of Physical Health
- Needle Marks on Lower Arm, Leg, or Bottom of the Feet
- Behavioral Signs
Some of the behavioral signs of substance abuse include:
- Aggression and Mood Swings
- Excessive Need for Privacy
- Change in Hobbies or Activities
- Isolating Behaviors
- Change in Overall Personality/Attitude
- Sudden Oversensitivity, Resentful Behavior, or Temper Tantrums
- General Lack of Motivation
- Loss of Interest in Family and Family Activities
- Engaging in Increasingly Risky Behaviors
How We Help
The items listed above are just some of the more common signs of substance abuse. Please keep in mind that if a person is exhibiting any of the above-mentioned symptoms, it doesn’t necessarily mean that they are abusing substances. It could be due to a physical or mental health problem.
Not sure if your loved one is abusing substances? Refer them to us. We can assess their needs. Furthermore, we offer confidential and person-centered mental health therapy and counseling services in Reynoldsburg, Ohio that might be able to help.